Conduct in Libraries Policy
The Perry Cook Memorial Public Library welcomes all people. In order to ensure safety and security and provide a suitable environment for library use, the following guidelines for conduct have been approved by the Library Board of Trustees:
- Parents or guardians are responsible for the conduct and safety of persons under their care.
- The Library is not responsible for personal belongings left unattended. Patrons must keep personal belongings with them at all times. Personal items left unattended may be subject to disposal.
- Library materials must be properly checked out at the circulation desk. Certain materials, such as reference books, may not be removed from the library.
- Library furniture and equipment available for public use must be used for the intended purpose.
- Library staff reserves the right to inspect all bags, briefcases, backpacks, containers, books and any similar items.
- Library materials not currently in use by patrons should be returned to staff or designated areas to be returned to the proper place. The Library staff is responsible for clearing materials not currently in use by patrons.
The following forms of conduct are not permitted:
- Behavior which may result in disturbing other library users, including, but not limited to: loud electronic devices, loud talking, running, shoving, throwing things, physical or verbal harassment, or threats.
- Unauthorized or unscheduled group meetings or activities.
- Food, except in approved areas by prior arrangement. Covered drinks are permitted.
- Use of all types of tobacco, e-cigarettes, alcohol or illegal substances.
- Entering the library without proper attire which conforms to the standard of the community for public places, including shirts.
- Damage, destruction, theft or improper use of library property or facilities.
- Loitering, bathing or sleeping.
- Carrying, displaying or drawing any weapon.
- Entering non-public areas such as staff work rooms, offices and storage areas.
- Animals, except service animals, unless authorized.
- Any form of sexual misconduct, including exposure, offensive touching, or sexual harassment of other patrons or staff.
- Selling, advertising, petitioning, or soliciting for contributions or support, except as authorized.
- Any illegal act or conduct in violation of federal, state, or local law, ordinance or regulation.
The above rules are based on powers granted to a public library board of trustees under the Ohio Revised Code, Section 3375.40(H). They will be posted prominently in the library building.
Approved by Perry Cook Memorial Library Board of Trustees June 6, 2017